Imagine riding through Iceland’s beautiful and varied countryside with a free running herd of horses, staying in farms and remote mountain huts along the way. Travel through rich farmland, Saga country and across glacial rivers to wooded forests tucked beneath the slopes of the volcano Eyjafjallajökull.
Perfect if you would like to join a small guided group for a riding adventure and to experience the unique qualities of the Icelandic horse, perfectly evolved for a journey like this. Great if you’d like a bit of a challenge, either on a personal level or maybe as a fundraiser for a favourite good cause.
6 days/5 nights
Iceland Horse Riding Trail
Arrival in Iceland: various dates
Looking for a different riding holiday? Contact us now.
DAY 1: WELCOME TO ICELAND
International flights to Iceland arrive at Keflavik airport, and we’ll have arranged with you in advance the details of your arrival and our meeting point for the start of the riding trail. If you need to arrive a day early, we’ll arrange this with you, or if you have a morning arrival you could start your holiday at the Blue Lagoon. Arrive at the horse farm for supper, a detailed introduction to the plans for the ride and an overnight guesthouse stay.
DAY 2: NJALL’S SAGA COUNTRY
After breakfast, we set off to meet our horses and begin our ride. This is rich farming country and an area also steeped in history as it’s where the Saga of Njáll took place. Here, large fields are surrounded by mountains and glaciers to the north and flanked by the ocean to the south. With Seljalandsfoss waterfall cascading over the cliffs and the peak of Eyjafjallajökull overhead, during the day we ride over the Markarfljót river towards the entrance to the Thórsmörk valley. Our overnight stay is at a farmhouse, and with wide open skies for during our trail there’s a chance to see the Northern Lights every evening. Riding distance today: app 22km, 4 hours in the saddle.
DAY 3: THORSMORK VALLEY
Today’s trail follows the path of the river upstream and into the wide valley bottom where tributary streams flow into the main river. We’ll make several river crossings during the day and see how the vegetation and landscape changes. The valley side have been etched and shaped by glaciers and glacial floods over many thousands of years to produce the stunning and beautiful Thorsmork, the valley of the Gods, which is also a Nature Reserve. Our overnight stay is in the mountain hut in a camping area high up in the valley where we’ll be surrounded by the three great glaciers of Eyjafjallajökull, Tindafjallajökull and Mýrdalsjökull. One of the most restful places in South Iceland, and worth every bit of the effort it will have taken to get there. Riding distance today: app 25km, 5-6 hours in the saddle.
DAY 4: ELVES CHURCH
Every day, we will each ride 2-3 horses from the herd that is running free with us during our journey. This way the horses get time to rest from being ridden and we all improve our riding skills. Today’s visual highlights include the birch woodlands, probably in their Autumn colours, the volcanic Elves Church and an impressively high sided canyon, Stakkholtsgjá. Gradually we return to the trail back through the lower heathlands looking downstream and south towards the North Atlantic Ocean and spend the night in farmhouse accommodation. Riding distance today: app 30km, 6 hours in the saddle.
DAY 5: STORA DIMON
As we set off for the final day’s ride we leave behind the massive rock Stora-Dimon, formerly an island when this area was under the sea. The old cliff and coast-line is easy to see, and the trails today are smoother than they have been! Amongst the green hills of this area are ancient Viking farms, indicative of settlement since the late 9th century, when the only way to travel was on horseback. The day ends with a drive back to the farm where we stayed on the first night, and from there the we’ll travel on into Reykjavik for our final night. A real contrast to the last few days out in Iceland’s nature but a great way to end the trip. Riding distance today: app 25km, 4-5 hours in the saddle.
DAY 6: DEPARTURE DAY or EXTEND YOUR STAY
From Reykjavik, getting to the airport is very straightforward and we will have made the arrangements for you in advance. It’s also a great opportunity to spend a day exploring the city, enjoy a well-deserved trip to a spa or to visit the Golden Circle on a day tour before you go. There’s plenty to choose from, we’ll be pleased to help.
- 4 nights’ accommodation in guesthouse/farm/mountain huts with shared facilities
- 1 nights’ accommodation in Reykjavik in a twin/double ensuite room
- 4 days’ escorted riding with and English-speaking riding guide
- Approximately 100km on horseback
- Return transfers between Reykjavik and the horse farm
- Maximum group size of 15 guests
- 5x breakfasts
- 4 packed lunches
- 4 dinners (includes welcome dinner and tour introduction on arrival night)
- Some riding equipment (please ask for details)
- Your pre-travel questions answered
- Flight booking and pre/post-holiday arrangement booking as required
- Your documentation, travel information pack, detailed itinerary and travel vouchers
- 100% financial protection guarantee
- Price per person: from £1875
WHY NOT ADD THESE?
- An extra day to explore more of Reykjavik
- More time to visit locally or further afield
- Relax in the world-famous Blue Lagoon when you arrive or before you fly
- Welcome to Iceland: private meet and greet with direct airport transfers
- Please ask us about booking flights and ATOL protection for your holiday
- Drinks and meals other than those listed
- Your flights to and from Iceland
- Transfers between Reykjavik and Keflavik
- Travel Insurance
- Single room supplement (last night only)
- Some riding equipment
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
- About the dates and details of this holiday?
- About more riding holidays in Iceland?
- About the riding experience that you need?
- About our riding preparation for the holiday?
- About including fundraising in your plans?
- About Iceland Traveller?
- We are Iceland Specialists. For more information and to check availability please contact us here.