Join us for a 4-day horseback trail ride staying on farms and in remote mountain huts. Travel through South Iceland’s rural farmland and into the stunning Thorsmork glaciated river valley situated in the shadow of the Eyjafjallajokull glacier. As this is the Aurora season, there’s plenty of scope for huge night skies and looking for the Northern Lights. Perfect if you are competent on horseback and enjoy riding through rugged landscapes with a small group of like-minded people. Travel on your own or with friends, everything is arranged by us and there’s an option to make this journey into a personal or charity challenge if you wish.
- Horse riding trail challenge
- 6 days/5 nights
- Tour Code: HRC0910
- September 7 to 12 2019
- Arrive in Iceland on Monday Sept 7
- Journey with Julia
DAY 1: ARRIVAL DAY Monday September 7
On arrival at Keflavík Airport, we’ll take a late afternoon private transfer to our horse farm and hotel where there will be time settle in, meet the horses, have dinner and enjoy the hot tub, a great location for searching the night sky for the Northern Lights.
DAY 2: RIDING IN RURAL ICELAND Tuesday September 8
After breakfast, we meet for an introduction to the trail, our guides and our horses and set off for our first day in the saddle with an overnight farmhouse stay and dinner.
DAY 3 and 4: THORSMORK VALLEY Wednesday and Thursday September 9-10
The ride in the valley of the Markarfljót river takes 2 days with an overnight stay in a mountain hut where we can all rest and enjoy good food in a beautiful and remote location. As we ride upstream, the glacial meltwater streams and dry river beds give way to a high sided gorge, and the trail leads us through boulders and rocks that have been deposited on the valley floor. As we ride back through the valley, following the river as it heads out to sea there’s no escaping the sense that nature in Iceland is immense. At the end of the day, we’ll spend the night in farmhouse accommodation.
DAY 5: BACK TO THE FARM Friday September 11
Today’s ride takes us back through the fields and farmland of South Iceland, still with a backdrop of hills and mountains and possibly a glimpse of the sea to our South. Our day ends at the horse farm for a celebration dinner and overnight stay.
DAY 6: DEPARTURE DAY Saturday September 12
After breakfast, there’s a private transfer back to Keflavik airport for the flight home, or you can choose to stay on and see Reykjavik or more of Iceland.
- Private arrival and departure airport transfer for the group
- Professionally guided horse-riding trail for 4 days (please request full details about equipment)
- Complete booking and planning service from Iceland Traveller
- Journey accompanied in Iceland by Julia
- Full board package:
- 2 nights’ accommodation in ensuite twin rooms on the first and last night
- 3 nights’ accommodation in farmhouses and mountain hut, shared facilities
- 5 dinners, 5 breakfasts, 4 packed lunches
WHY NOT ADD THESE?
- Join our UK riding skills training and preparation programme
- Blue Lagoon visit on arrival or departure day
- Additional time in Iceland to explore Reykjavik
- Use the weekend to enjoy Reykjavik and Iceland’s ‘’
- Your flights to and from Iceland
- ATOL package (available if we book your flights)
- Travel insurance
- Some riding equipment
PRICE per person £1895. Ask us for details of our early booking offer.
We are Iceland specialists! For more information and to check availability, please contact us here.