Join us in August for our next hiking adventure. Once again, it’s based in South Iceland and this time we’ll be exploring the magnificent Thórsmörk glacial river valley with overnight stays in remote mountain huts. As last year’s secret hot river bathing was such a hit, we’re including that again too. Perfect if you’d like a small group, guided and organised adventure with great company, and fantastic Icelanders to lead the trail.
It’s 4 days of hiking, difficult enough to make this a personal challenge to prepare for or to take on as a fundraiser for a cause of your choice. Last year’s fundraising group that hiked with us raised £5000.
- Thórsmörk Hiking Challenge
- 6 days/5 nights
- Tour Code THH0819
- August 17-22 2019
- Arrive in Iceland Sat 17 August
- Journey with Julia
Day 1: ARRIVAL DAY. Saturday August 17
On arrival at Keflavik airport in Iceland, transfer to the countryside and our farmhouse accommodation for final preparation, dinner and hot tubs.
After breakfast we set off with our guides for the day to hike through the local geothermal area and to enjoy a hot river swim out in the open air. A perfect introduction to the hiking landscape and to the Icelandic way of doing things. Dinner and overnight at the farmhouse.
Day 3: INTO THE THORSMORK. Monday August 19
Set off today for the journey along the South Coast of Iceland passing the great volcano Hekla and out to sea, the volcanic Westman Islands. At Seljalandsfoss waterfall, the mighty Markarfljót river flows out to sea and it’s here that we begin our hiking trail and spend our first night in a mountain hut up in the valley.
Day 4: MOUNTAIN CLIMB. Tuesday August 20
The mountain Rupnafell will be our goal today, amazing landscapes on the way up and with luck, fantastic views from the top.
Day 5: MOUNTAIN and CANYON. Wednesday August 21
Today’s trail takes us up to Utigonguhofdi and then to Hvannargil, where we end our hike, driving back to our farmhouse for a celebration supper.
Day 6: RETURN HOME or EXTEND your stay. August 22
We’ll head back to the airport for flights home, but Reykjavik, the Golden Circle and a whole lot more awaits you. Last year some of our group took s few days extra, others were joined by non-hiking partners to explore more of Iceland.
- Full board accommodation (shared rooms and bathrooms) from dinner on day 1 to breakfast on day 6
- Substantial and delicious food!
- Use of hot tubs first and last night
- Private airport pick-up and drop off for our group
- Fully guided hiking with professional leaders
- Complete planning and booking service before departure by Iceland Traveller
- Everything taken care of in Iceland, this is a Journey with Julia
- Trail T-shirt
- Certificate of completion
- Advice about the terrain, the hike, the training and equipment
- Discount on equipment purchases for your hike
- Opportunity to hike and walk with our local group in Surrey
- Add a day and see Reykjavik, before or after the hike
- Make a weekend of it and see Reykjavik, the famous Golden Circle, and visit one of Iceland’s spas or lagoons?
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Your flights
- An ATOL protected package is available if we book your flights
- Travel insurance
PRICE per person £1775