Great value for a winter Northern Lights hunting holiday that also includes the must-see iceberg lagoon at Jökulsárlón, iconic , Lava Centre, rugged South Coast and waterfalls, and a tailor-made Aurora programme. A big trip with big views, all in 5 days! Perfect if you prefer to travel with the benefit of a professional tour guide and everything arranged for you. Travel in comfort by coach (with free wi-fi) on your own or with friends and enjoy Reykjavik, the countryside, geology, landscapes, photo opportunities and more.
5 days/4 nights
Aurora and Iceberg Lagoon: Tour Code WT27
Departures: September 2019- April 2020 including New Year. Arrive in Iceland on Sunday
DAY 1: ARRIVAL DAY
On arrival at Keflavík Airport, we’ll arrange your transfer into Reykjavik and depending on the time of your arrival, we will be happy to suggest some ideas on how to explore Iceland’s capital, perhaps a Northern Light Hunt, an introduction to Iceland, or a great place to eat.
DAY 2: THE
Start the day with a short film about Iceland’s geology, and then leave Reykjavik on the classic tour: walk through the Geysir geothermal park and watch Strokkur’s steam eruption, from above, see stunning Gullfoss, the “Golden Waterfall”, and then to the Thingvellir National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and location of the world’s first parliament. A fascinating extra before the day ends is a visit to Kerið, a beautiful water filled explosion crater. Overnight in the countryside, with the first night of the Northern Lights programme after dinner.
DAY 3: VATNAJOKULL NATIONAL PARK AND GLACIER LAGOON
Travel through stunning and varied south Iceland, past huge glacier and mountain views, and enormous outwash plains to the breath-taking Jökulsárlón lagoon. Marvel at the stripe, strangely shaped icebergs and perhaps spot some seals. Down on Diamond beach, walk among the scattered ice fragments twinkling on the black sand. Overnight in the countryside, with more opportunities for searching the night sky for the Aurora after dinner. From November to March the day can include an optional trip inside an Ice Cave.
DAY 4: SOUTH COAST
Returning southwards, cross moss-topped lava fields and narrow bridges over glacial rivers on their way to the sea. At Vik, see the columnar basalt cliffs and black sand beach, followed by the magical Seljalandsfoss waterfall that cascades over cliffs into a beautiful plunge pool. Before the return to Reykjavik for the evening and an overnight stay, there’s a final stop at the highly acclaimed interactive lava exhibition. If the weather is favourable, there’s an option for a Northern Lights cruise from Reykjavik harbour if you wish.
DAY 5: DEPARTURE DAY
We’ll arrange the transfer from your accommodation to Keflavík Airport depending on your flight time. If you’d like to extend your stay or to finish your holiday with a soak at the Blue Lagoon, just ask!
“Iceland has been somewhere I have always wanted to go to so my expectations were high! I was blown away by the country, its people and the whole experience! Thanks to the Iceland Traveller team!”
- Arrival and departure airport transfer
- Fully escorted 3-day bus tour with an English-speaking guide
- Maximum group size of 30 guests
- 4 nights simple tourist class hotel and cottage accommodation in rooms with private shower/WC (upgrade available)
- 4 breakfasts
- Entrance to Kerið volcano crater
- Entrance to the Icelandic lava show
- Northern Lights programme during 2 evenings with a combination of talks, presentations, a film and guided searches for the Northern Lights, plus midnight refreshments
- Use of winter & Northern Lights explorer equipment: simple non-slip snow & ice grippers for shoes and a torch
- Your pre-travel questions answered
- Your documentation, travel information pack, detailed itinerary and travel vouchers
- 100% financial protection guarantee
- Price per person for winter 2019/2020 departures from £1175
- An extra day to explore more of Reykjavik
- More time to visit locally or further afield
- Relax in the world-famous Blue Lagoon before you fly
- Welcome to Iceland: private meet and greet with direct airport transfers
- Please ask us about booking flights and ATOL protection for your holiday
- Northern Lights Cruise on day 4 (pay locally)
- Northern Light Hunting by bus or Super-jeep
- Drinks and meals other than those listed
- Your flights to and from Iceland
- Travel Insurance
- Single room supplement
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
- About the dates and details of this holiday?
- About a special New Year celebration in Iceland?
- About other tours or similar holidays?
- About Iceland Traveller?
- We are Iceland Specialists. For more information and check availability please contact us here.