From £685 per person, excluding flights
This tour is aimed at those who prefer to explore under their own steam and at their own pace and offers a good standard of hotel accommodation. A range of optional activities, including dog-sledding, snowmobiling and Super Jeep tours, is available. Please see below for details.
On arrival, transfer to your centrally-located, 4* hotel (deluxe room, subject to availability) infor two nights. In the evening, we recommend a visit to the small and cosy Cinema No 2 at the harbourside, where you can watch films about the natural wonders of Iceland – including the Northern Lights – from the comfort of the sofas. If you like, we can book you in for dinner at Hofnin restaurant, noted for its authentic Icelandic cuisine, next to the cinema.
The first day is free to explore, either on your own or with a guide, on foot or by bike. Next morning, your hire car will be delivered to your hotel. After checking out, drive to your countryside hotel in south Iceland (please ask us about upgrades to a deluxe room or apartment). With minimal light pollution, this is an excellent place from which to view the Northern Lights if weather conditions are favourable. You can even keep watch for them from the hotel’s hot tubs. You can also ask to receive a wake-up call, should they appear after you have retired to bed.
On the way south, we recommend you follow theroute to see some of Iceland’s most famous sights. These include the Geysir (the great hot spring from which all others take their name) geothermal area, Gullfoss (one of the most beautiful of Iceland’s numerous waterfalls) and Thingvellir National Park (site of the world’s first parliament and the point at which two of the Earth’s tectonic plates meet and are slowly drifting apart).
The next day is free to spend as you please, perhaps driving along the south coast to the small town of Vik, or engaging in an activity such as snowmobiling, glacier-hiking or dog-sledding, or taking a Super Jeep or quad bike (ATV) tour, either of which will allow you to reach places inaccessible by car.
After checking out from your hotel next morning, set off for your final night’s stop, located near Grindavík. En route, take in the towns of Selfoss and Hveragerdi or spend some time relaxing at the Blue Lagoon which is close to your hotel. If you have an afternoon or evening flight, you can visit the Lagoon on your last morning instead, before dropping off your car at the airport for your flight home.
- 5 nights in 3* and 4* hotels in twin/double rooms, with breakfast
- Private transfer from Keflavík International Airport to your hotel in
- Car hire from Day 3 – Day 6 (4×4 Hyundai IX35 or similar, with GPS, collision damage waiver insurance and winter tyres)
- Entry to the Blue Lagoon (your package includes use of a towel, a drink of your choice and a skin care trial pack – please ask us about upgrades)
Pre-bookable activities available on this tour include:
- walking tour of (£35 per person)
- bike tour of (£35 per person)
- snowmobiling (from £125 per person for 1 hour – plus 1 hour transfer to the glacier by Super Jeep – based on 2 sharing; driving licence required)
- hiking at Solheimajökull glacier (from £56 per person for 2 hours)
- dog-sledding (from £90 per person for 60-90 minutes – maybe on dry land or snow depending on conditions)
- Super Jeep glacier adventure tour (from £85 per person for 1 hour)
- Quad bike tour (from £85 per person for 1 hour based on 2 sharing; driving licence required)
Please note: these prices are based on getting yourself to the location of each activity although, in most cases, a pick-up from your hotel is available at extra cost.
BOOKINGS & FURTHER INFORMATION: Please contact us here